[libvirt] [RFC] maint: forbid most files without extension

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Apr 14 10:18:47 UTC 2010

On Tue, Apr 13, 2010 at 02:11:55PM -0600, Eric Blake wrote:
> * .gitignore: Add rule that requires . in name, then add exemptions.
> ---
>
> Given Chris' recent accident in committing a binary file, then
> blasting the list with it, here's a (hack) approach to prevent a
> relapse in the future.  It assumes that non-binary files either
> have an extension, or are easy enough to enumerate.
>
> Personally, I do NOT want to apply this patch.  It has the nasty
> side-effect of rendering .git/info/exclude useless (git unfortunately
> stops processing ignore rules once it finds an explicit accept rule,
> so any reject rules in .git/info/exclude for files containing '.' are
> overruled as accepts by this patch).  Hence, this is only an RFC,
> documenting my thought process.

I don't think its really worth it myself. I prefer to have too little in
the .gitignore file, than too much, since it ensures you'll spot files
you haven't added to the commit.

Chris' patch was actually blocked by mailman, but someone else approved it
before I could reject it !

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|