[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Libvirt debug API

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Fri Apr 23 18:29:55 UTC 2010

On 04/23/2010 09:24 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:
> On 04/23/2010 04:48 PM, Anthony Liguori wrote:

>>> And people said qmp/json was overengineered...
>>>
>>> But seriously, transactions won't help anything.  qemu maintains
>>> state, and when you have two updaters touching a shared variable not
>>> excepting each other to, things break, no matter how much locking
>>> there is.
>>
>> Let's consider some concrete examples.  I'm using libvirt and QMP and
>> in QMP, I want to hot unplug a device.
>>
>> Today, I do this by listing the pci devices, and issuing a pci_del
>> that takes a PCI address.  This is intrinsically racy though because
>> in the worst case scenario, in between when I enumerate pci devices
>> and do the pci_del in QMP, in libvirt, I've done a pci_del and then a
>> pci_add within libvirt of a completely different device.
>
> Obviously you should do the pci_del through libvirt.  Once libvirt
> supports an API, use it.

It was just an example...

>> There are a few ways to solve this, the simplest being that we give
>> devices unique ids that are never reused and instead of pci_del
>> taking a pci bus address, it takes a device id.  That would address
>> this race.
>>
>> You can get very far by just being clever about unique ids and
>> notifications.  There are some cases where a true RMW may be required
>> but I can't really think of one off hand.  The way LDAP addresses
>> this is that it has a batched operation and a simple set of boolean
>> comparison operations.  This lets you execute a batched operation
>> that will do a RMW.
>
> I'm sure we can be very clever, but I'd rather direct this cleverness
> to qemu core issues, not to the QMP (which in turn requires that users
> be clever to use it correctly).  QMP is a low bandwidth protocol, so
> races will never show up in testing.  We're laying mines here for
> users to step on that we will never encounter ourselves.
>

>>>   The only way that separate monitors could work is if they touch
>>> completely separate state, which is difficult to ensure if you
>>> upgrade your libvirt.
>>>

>> I don't think this is as difficult of a problem as you think it is.
>> If you look at Active Directory and the whole set of management tools
>> based on it, they certainly allow concurrent management
>> applications.  You can certainly get into trouble still but with just
>> some careful considerations, you can make two management applications
>> work together 90% of the time without much fuss on the applications
>> part.
>
> Maybe.  We'll still have issues.  For example, sVirt: if a QMP command
> names a labeled resource, the non-libvirt user will have no way of
> knowing how to label it.

This is orthogonal to QMP and has to do strictly with how libvirt
prepares a resource for qemu.

> Much better to exact a commitment from libvirt to track all QMP (and
> command line) capabilities.  Instead of adding cleverness to QMP, add
> APIs to libvirt.

Let's step back for a minute because I think we're missing the forest
through the trees.

We're trying to address a few distinct problems:

1) Allow libvirt users to access features of qemu that are not exposed
through libvirt

2) Provide a means for non-libvirt users to interact with qemu

3) Provide a unified and interoperable view of the world for non-libvirt
and libvirt users

For (1), we all agree that the best case scenario would be for libvirt
to support every qemu feature.  I think we can also all agree though
that this is not really practical and certainly not practical for
developers since there is a development cost associated with libvirt
support (to model an API appropriately).

The new API proposed addresses (1) by allowing a user to drill down to
the QMP context.  It's a good solution IMHO and I think we all agree
that there's an inherent risk to this that users will have to evaluate
on a case-by-case basis.  It's a good stop-gap though.

(2) is largely addressed by QMP and a config file.  I'd like to see a
nice C library, but I think a lot of other folks are happy with JSON
support in higher level languages.

(3) is the place where there are still potential challenges.  I think at
the very least, our goal should be to enable conversion from (2) and (1)
to be as easy as possible.  That's why I have proposed implementing a C
library for the JSON transport because we could plumb that through the
new libvirt API.  This would allow a user to very quickly port an
application from QMP to libvirt.  In order to do this, we need the
libvirt API to expose a dedicated monitor because we'll need to be able
to manipulate events and negotiate features.

Beyond simple porting, there's a secondary question of having
non-libvirt apps co-exist with libvirt apps.  I think it's a good long
term goal, but I don't think we should worry too much about it now.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori