[libvirt] Potential gotcha in virsh migration with --persistent?

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Tue Aug 17 09:47:11 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 06:15:02PM +1000, Justin Clift wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> Just noticed that when using the virsh --persistent option for
> migration, that the "autostart" attribute isn't mirrored across to the
> destination host.
>
> This seems like a "gotcha", in that a person migrating an autostarted
> guest to another host with --persistent will be expecting the migration
> to persist _all_ of the (important at least) guest settings.
>
> Without mirroring this attribute, the person doing the migration needs
> to manually follow up the migration by subsequently connecting to the
> destination host, then turning on autostart attribute for the domain there.
>
> Guessing it's not a design decision, and is just something we should fix?

I don't think it is that clearcut. If autostart is enabled on the source
host and we mirror that to the new host. Then both hosts are rebooted....
Not mirroring autostart seems rather good from a safety POV to me.

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|