[libvirt] New save/restore api proposal

Jean-Baptiste Rouault jean-baptiste.rouault at diateam.net
Thu Aug 19 15:12:36 UTC 2010

Hello all,

I'd like to add support for save and restore to the OpenVZ and VirtualBox
drivers because I have to support these operations in the application I'm
working on.

However, the save/restore API in its current state doesn't fit well to our
needs. The main problem is that the domain definition is included inside the
save file. This is problematic because between the save and the restore
operations, the names of the network interfaces on the host side are likely to
have changed and we can't modify them before restoring the domain.

To summarize, what we would like to be able to do is:
- save a domain and undefine it
- update the domain definition to use the new names of host side interfaces
- restore the domain

This is why I would like to add two new functions with the following
signatures (better names are probably needed):
int virDomainSaveState(virDomainPtr domain, const char *to);
int virDomainRestoreState(virDomainPtr domain, const char *from);

The first one would do the same as virDomainSave but without prepending the
domain's definition to the save file.
The other function would be able to restore a domain saved by the first one.

What do you think ?

Regards,
Jean-Baptiste