[libvirt] Add new API for accessing remote guest text console

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Fri Aug 20 09:13:02 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 18, 2010 at 12:53:41PM +0200, Soren Hansen wrote:
> On 17-08-2010 19:02, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> > The 'virsh console' command has been an oddity that only works
> > when run locally, as the same UID as the QEMU instance. This
> > is because it directly opens /dev/pty/XXX. This introduces a
> > formal API for accessing consoles that uses the virStreamPtr
> > APIs. Now any app can open consoles anywhere it can connect
> > to libvirt
>
> I don't (right now, at least) have any comments on the patches
> themselves, but I can't help but wonder what other wonderful
> improvements you've got in your pipeline. I spent at least a couple of
> hours on something like this a couple of weeks ago, but had I known that
> you were already doing it, I wouldn't have wasted my time.
>
> So, in an effort to not duplicate efforts, perhaps everyone who's
> working on something reasonably big (certainly stuff like this, but also
> smaller change sets) could put a list up somewhere for all to see?
> Perhaps such a list already exists and I just don't know about it?

I'm in the process of working through all the RFE bugs against libvirt
to put together a semi-formal 'roadmap' that we can publish. People
could then put their names against items if they intend todo them.

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|