[libvirt] KVM doesn't send an arp announce after live migrating a domain

Avi Kivity avi at redhat.com
Wed Aug 25 11:05:45 UTC 2010

>> I think libvirt is doing something about this, copying list for further
>> info.
> libvirt doesn't set a policy for this. It provides an API for
> configuring host networking, but we don't override the kernel's
> forward delay policy, since we don't presume that all bridges
> are going to have VMs attached. In any case the API isn't available
> for Debian yet, since no one has ported netcf to Debian, so I
> assume the OP set bridging up manually. The '15' second default is
> actually a kernel level default IIRC.
>
> The two main host network configs recommended for use with libvirt+KVM
> (either NAT or bridging) are documented here:
>
>    http://wiki.libvirt.org/page/Networking

 From that page:

# virsh net-define /usr/share/libvirt/networks/default.xml

 From my copy of that file:

<network>
   <name>default</name>
   <bridge name="virbr0" />
   <forward/>
   <ip address="192.168.122.1" netmask="255.255.255.0">
     <dhcp>
       <range start="192.168.122.2" end="192.168.122.254" />
     </dhcp>
   </ip>
</network>

So it looks like the default config uses the kernel default?  If libvirt
uses an existing bridge I agree it shouldn't hack it, but if it creates
its own can't it use a sensible default?

signature is too narrow to contain.