[libvirt] KVM doesn't send an arp announce after live migrating a domain

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Aug 25 11:36:10 UTC 2010

On Wed, Aug 25, 2010 at 02:30:01PM +0300, Avi Kivity wrote:
>  On 08/25/2010 02:15 PM, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
> >
> >>So it looks like the default config uses the kernel default?  If libvirt
> >>uses an existing bridge I agree it shouldn't hack it, but if it creates
> >>its own can't it use a sensible default?
> >That is the NAT virtual network. That one *does* default to a forward
> >delay of 0, but since it is NAT, it is fairly useless for migration
> >in anycase. If you do 'virsh net-dumpxml default' you should see that
> >delay='0' was added
> >
> >The OP was using bridging rather than NAT though, so this XML example
> >doesn't apply. My comments about libvirt not overriding kenrel policy
> >for forward delay were WRT full bridging mode, not the NAT mode[1]
>
> Yes, of course.
>
> Can't libvirt also create a non-NAT bridge?  Looks like it would prevent
> a lot of manual work and opportunity for misconfiguration.

Yes, it can on latest Fedora/RHEL6, using the netcf library. This is the
new 'virsh iface-XXX' command set (and equivalent APIs). I've not updated
the docs to cover this functionality yet though. It also does bonding,
and vlans, etc

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|