[libvirt] make syntax-check -> make: *** [sc_check_author_list] Error 1 on libvirt-0.8.5

Kenneth Nagin NAGIN at il.ibm.com
Thu Dec 2 09:25:03 UTC 2010

Best Regards,

Kenneth Nagin
Ph: +972-4-8296227
Cell: 054-6976227
Fx: +972-4- 8296113
https://researcher.ibm.com/researcher/view.php?person=il-NAGIN
http://www.reservoir-fp7.eu/

A lie can travel halfway round the world while the truth is putting on its
shoes.
-- Mark Twain

Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com> wrote on 01/12/2010 18:05:46:

> From: Eric Blake <eblake at redhat.com>
> To: Justin Clift <jclift at redhat.com>
> Cc: Kenneth Nagin/Haifa/IBM at IBMIL, list libvirt <libvir-list at redhat.com>
> Date: 01/12/2010 18:05
> Subject: Re: [libvirt] make syntax-check -> make: ***
> [sc_check_author_list] Error 1 on libvirt-0.8.5
>
> On 12/01/2010 04:14 AM, Justin Clift wrote:
> > On 01/12/2010, at 9:03 PM, Kenneth Nagin wrote:
> >> I am receiving syntax error when compiling libvirt-0.8.5.
> >> However, make without syntax-check completes successfully.
> >
> > Interesting.  There was a problem with make syntax-check that was
> patched last
> > night, after the 0.8.6 release.
>
> Yes, but it was a different check that was failing, and the patch for
> that fix won't solve the too-old git failing the authors check.
>
> > If you can, and the error still crops up, then it's a new one we
> need to look at.
> > Otherwise it's already been fixed in the source, your choice of which
source
> > tarball version you want to then use. :)
>
> And ultimately, failure of 'make syntax-check' is non-fatal; it is not a
> prerequisite for building working binaries, so much as a way to try and
> enforce consistent style within the code base.
>
> --
> Eric Blake   eblake at redhat.com    +1-801-349-2682
>
> [attachment "signature.asc" deleted by Kenneth Nagin/Haifa/IBM]
I decided that it made more sense to simply work with 0.8.6 (rather than
0.8.5).
But now I am getting another error, i.e "Failed to determine type of
version control used in /home/nagin/LIBVIRT/libvirt-0.8.6".  It prints it a
lot of times and then hangs.
make without syntax-check works fine.  Here are the error messages:

nagin at croton:~/LIBVIRT/libvirt-0.8.6$ make syntax-check
GFDL_version
./build-aux/vc-list-files: Failed to determine type of version control used
in /home/nagin/LIBVIRT/libvirt-0.8.6
0.01 GFDL_version
GPL_version
./build-aux/vc-list-files: Failed to determine type of version control used
in /home/nagin/LIBVIRT/libvirt-0.8.6
0.01 GPL_version
Wundef_boolean
0.01 Wundef_boolean
avoid_if_before_free
./build-aux/vc-list-files: Failed to determine type of version control used
in /home/nagin/LIBVIRT/libvirt-0.8.6
useless-if-before-free: missing FILE argument
Try `useless-if-before-free --help' for more information.
0.03 avoid_if_before_free
bindtextdomain
./build-aux/vc-list-files: Failed to determine type of version control used
in /home/nagin/LIBVIRT/libvirt-0.8.6
0.01 bindtextdomain
cast_of_alloca_return_value
./build-aux/vc-list-files: Failed to determine type of version control used
in /home/nagin/LIBVIRT/libvirt-0.8.6
0.01 cast_of_alloca_return_value
cast_of_argument_to_free
./build-aux/vc-list-files: Failed to determine type of version control used
in /home/nagin/LIBVIRT/libvirt-0.8.6
0.01 cast_of_argument_to_free
cast_of_x_alloc_return_value
./build-aux/vc-list-files: Failed to determine type of version control used
in /home/nagin/LIBVIRT/libvirt-0.8.6
0.01 cast_of_x_alloc_return_value
changelog
./build-aux/vc-list-files: Failed to determine type of version control used
in /home/nagin/LIBVIRT/libvirt-0.8.6
0.01 changelog
const_long_option