[libvirt] VolumeCreateXML "XML" description for ESX

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Thu Dec 2 12:37:44 UTC 2010

This XML snippet should work

<volume>
  <name>test_vm/test_vm.vmdk</name>
  <allocation>0</allocation>
  <capacity unit='G'>2</capacity>
</volume>

The error message says that the volume name doesn't have the expected
format <directory>/<file>. The <> might be misleading here, they don't
refer to XML elements.

I can probably relax this and allow files in the datastore root. The
problem with a .vmdk file in the datastore root is that ESX doesn't
allow a virtual machine to be registered (or defined in libvirt terms)
in the datastore root. The typical layout is to have a subdirectory
per virtual machine.

Matthias