[libvirt] GNU awk vs BSD awk?

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Thu Dec 2 18:18:39 UTC 2010

On 03/12/2010, at 4:29 AM, Eric Blake wrote:
> On 12/01/2010 09:08 PM, Justin Clift wrote:
>> Hi Eric,
>>
>> One of the OSX Homebrew guys, CC'd, has asked (casually) whether our dependency on GNU awk is very deeply ingrained, or if we could be convinced to allow usage of other make's instead (ie BSD).
>
> GNU awk, or GNU make?  There's a difference :)

Definitely awk.  Mike was asking because I had "gawk" as a specific dependency of the libvirt Homebrew
package.  It was needed when I first started the packaging for 0.8.5.

However, just tested the 0.8.6 release now, and it compiles/works ok with the OSX provided awk.  Gawk not installed.

Looks like good timing of that question on Mike's part, and I'll submit a new 0.8.6 package that doesn't have the gawk dependency.

Thanks Eric. :)

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift