[libvirt] cancel cloning

Zdenek Styblik stybla at turnovfree.net
Wed Dec 8 12:04:42 UTC 2010

On 12/08/2010 12:31 PM, Zdenek Styblik wrote:
> Hello,
>
> please, is there some way how to cancel VM cloning in progress? To be
> more specific, to cancel volume allocation.
> And since we are on the topic, why is volume allocation so slow even for
> VM that's shut off?
>
> Cloning has been initiated via virt-tools resp. virt-manager.
>
> Thank you for reply,
> Zdenek

And to answer myself.

1] lsof <image_that's_being_cloned> && kill that process

2] being slow ~ since I wanted to keep format as a source, why not to
just % cp; instead qemu and convert? This one I don't understand.

--- SNIP ---
/usr/bin/qemu-img convert -f qcow2 -O qcow2 <src> <trgt>
--- SNIP ---

But it surely does explain why is it "so" slow, because % cp; is matter
of seconds.

Oh well, everything is good now :)

Have a nice day,
Zdenek