[libvirt] [RFC] cgroups net_cls controller implementation

D. Herrendoerfer d.herrendoerfer at herrendoerfer.name
Wed Dec 8 12:08:36 UTC 2010

I disagree. The concept of QoS is not pertinent to a single VM
description;
it is a constrainment of the Host. Libvirt vor example has no concept
of multiple VLAN distribution on a single machine and is dependent
on other tools to provide them.
True network QoS (802.1p) on the other hand is, in linux, bound to a
specific VLAN
interface, and having a single VM try to modify these settings will
affect all users of that VLAN.

Using cgroups in this context is a wonderful way of managing bandwidth
between groups of VMs, to make sure one cannot stave-out the other, but
again - this is a Host feature.

Apart from the above, I don't see great potential for regressions by
simply
introducing a sensible default behavior, it is still possible to
simply leave
zero in the classid file, and all is back to normal.

D.Herrendoerfer