[libvirt] Create VMWare ESXi domain via virsh error(error: this function is not supported by the connection driver: virDomainCreateXML)

Jim Fehlig jfehlig at novell.com
Thu Dec 9 05:03:53 UTC 2010

Sorry for delayed response ...

mop amg wrote:
> Hi, Dear.
> I have two questions ask for help:
> my virt-manager and libvirt version is :
> linux-vaan:~ # rpm -q libvirt
> libvirt-0.8.5-1.2.i586
> linux-vaan:~ # uname -a
> Linux linux-vaan 2.6.34-12-desktop #1 SMP PREEMPT 2010-06-29 02:39:08
> +0200  i686 i386 GNU/Linux
> linux-vaan:~ # rpm -q virt-manager
> virt-manager-0.8.5-3.1.i586
> linux-vaan:~ # cat /etc/SuSE-release
> openSUSE 11.3 (i586)
> VERSION = 11.3
>
> virsh # version
> Compiled against library: libvir 0.8.5
> Using library: libvir 0.8.5
> Using API: ESX 0.8.5
> Running hypervisor: ESX 4.1.0
>

> *question 1 : *
> When I try to create a vmware esxi domain from virsh like this :
>        create --file /work/dom1.x
>  there is a  error message :
>        error: Failed to create domain from /work/dom1.xml
>        error: this function is not supported by the connection driver:
> virDomainCreateXML

The ESX driver is not enabled in released versions of openSUSE.  It is
enabled in openSUSE Factory and will be in openSUSE 11.4.  In the
meantime, you could use libvirt 0.8.6 with ESX driver enabled from
Virtualization project in openSUSE Build Service.  The download repo for
11.3 i586 is here

 http://download.opensuse.org/repositories/Virtualization/openSUSE_11.3/i586/

Regards,
Jim