[libvirt] [Patch v3] Add VMware Workstation and Player driver

Jean-Baptiste Rouault jean-baptiste.rouault at diateam.net
Thu Dec 9 10:05:50 UTC 2010

On Wednesday 08 December 2010 19:29:56 Daniel P. Berrange wrote:

> FYI, you can still get CPUs which are 32-bit only and have vmx/svm
> supported.

Indeed, I didn't know there were 32 bits CPUs with virtualization extensions.
Would it be ok to check for the "lm" CPU flag to be certain that the host CPU
is a 64bit one ?

> > +
> > +        //vmrun list only reports running vms
> > +        vm->state = VIR_DOMAIN_RUNNING;
> > +        vm->def->id = driver->nextvmid++;
> > +        vm->persistent = 1;
>
> The VM ID is intended to be stable for the lifetime of a VM. It
> seems like this could be unstable, depending on the order in
> which vmrun -T returns the list. Is there any way to find a
> more stable ID, even if it means using the VM's UNIX PID ?

I guess I could parse the first line of the VM log (file vmware.log in the vmx
directory) to get the PID.

> > +static const char *
> > +vmwareGetType(virConnectPtr conn)
> > +{
> > +    struct vmware_driver *driver = conn->privateData;
> > +    int type;
> > +
> > +    type = driver->type;
> > +    return type == TYPE_PLAYER ? "vmware player" : "vmware workstation";
> > +}
>
> This should just be returning the same string that's
> in the type field of the virDriverPtr struct that
> was registered.

Do you mean the "name" field of the _virDriver struct ?

Regards,
Jean-Baptiste

--
Jean-Baptiste ROUAULT
Ingénieur R&D - Diateam : Architectes de l'information