[libvirt] system / session URI

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Wed Dec 15 21:31:41 UTC 2010

On 12/15/2010 02:19 PM, arnaud.champion at devatom.fr wrote:
> ?Hi,
>
> Can someone explain (or point me to a document that explain) what are the differences between these two URI :
>
> qemu+tcp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/system
> qemu+tcp://xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx/session

http://libvirt.org/uri.html#URI_qemu

System URIs connect to the system libvirtd daemon (started by system
init scripts), which is shared among all users on the machine, and which
allows access to anything that requires superuser capabilities (such as
creating tun devices for networking).

Session URIs connect to a per-user daemon (which will be started
automatically if needed), and which cannot access anything that the user
cannot access (and unfortunately, given that no one has yet figured out
how to make Linux share tun devices with ordinary users, that means that
session guests are currently rather limited because they will not have
networking support).  The goal is to make things support full
virtualization under session URIs, once the kernel adds the support we
need for networking.