[libvirt] Got time to try out the libvirt 0.8.6 win32 package?

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Mon Dec 20 15:03:00 UTC 2010

That's correct, regsvr32 is for registering COM components. It has
nothing to do with the runtime linker finding the DLLs.

In order to have libvirt-0.dll available for applications it must
either be in the same directory as the application's binary (having it
in the working directory might work too), or it must be in the PATH.

But putting \bin in the PATH pollutes the global DLL namespace with
common DLLs like zlib1.dll. This makes DLL hell worse. Strawberry Perl
avoids this by making the DLL name unique to Strawberry Perl by
posfixing them with an underscore.

I just hacked a small C program that can rewrite the DLL import
tables. This allows to easily prefix all DLLs in \bin (expect
libvirt-0.dll and libvirt-qemu-0.dll) without touching all the
buildsystems for those DLLs to rename them.

Instead of this filenames in \bin:

iconv.dll
intl.dll
libcurl-4.dll
libgcrypt-11.dll
libgnutls-26.dll
libgpg-error-0.dll
libportablexdr-0.dll
libtasn1-3.dll
libvirt-0.dll
libvirt-qemu-0.dll
libxml2-2.dll
virsh.exe
zlib1.dll

we can have this ones:

libvirt-0.dll
libvirt-qemu-0.dll
virsh.exe
_lv_iconv.dll
_lv_intl.dll
_lv_libcurl-4.dll
_lv_libgcrypt-11.dll
_lv_libgnutls-26.dll
_lv_libgpg-error-0.dll
_lv_libportablexdr-0.dll
_lv_libtasn1-3.dll
_lv_libxml2-2.dll
_lv_zlib1.dll

Or with any other prefix/postfix with up to 4 characters.

Matthias