[libvirt] Back and suggested release schedule

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Dec 22 13:11:15 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 11:31:14PM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 22/12/2010, at 10:30 PM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > Also on the release name, should we go 0.9.0 considering the refactorings
> > (i.e. indicating future patches will be harder to apply to earlier branches)
> > or stick to 0.8.7 (considering that there isn't major feature improvement
> > ... unless I missed them !),
>
> My initial thinking is 0.8.7, but I don't feel strongly about it. :)
>
> With the "freeze", what's a good process to put in place while frozen to
> make sure only bugs and doc improvements go in?

  Well that should be part of the review process and people who have commit
rights are supposed to know the rules ;-)

> There has been tentative discussion on list about possibly doing some kind
> of branching and/or "candidate" tarball, but we didn't get reach a solid
> conclusion.

  Well ... there are tarballs [1] generated every hours on libvirt.org out
of git. The unfortunate point is that few people test git on the strange
configurations which generally break things, and those get caught *after*
release precisely because the code end up reaching a larger audience.
  So I'm not sure that making a candidate tarball helps that much, just
fetch the git tarball sometime during the freeze, the adantage is that
as we go alog the freeze week, more bugs should get fixed. Also we often
introduce bugs in the process of trying to chase another one, and the
candidate/final split doesn't catch that ... unless you do more candidate
release (and one per hour is the extreme case :-)

Daniel

[1] ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/libvirt-git-snapshot.tar.gz