[libvirt] Back and suggested release schedule

Justin Clift jclift at redhat.com
Wed Dec 22 13:21:31 UTC 2010

On 23/12/2010, at 12:12 AM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 01:32:55PM +0100, Diego Elio Pettenò wrote:
>> Il giorno mer, 22/12/2010 alle 19.30 +0800, Daniel Veillard ha scritto:
>>> maybe we ought
>>> to make a new release at the end of the month to try to catch possible
>>> regressions introduced as early as possible.
>>
>> I'd suggest making a release candidate, rather than a release for now.
>> As per the version, I'd go for 0.8.7 myself, after all the version
>> should be intended more for users than developers, and there is no
>> requirement to change, e.g. configuration files.
>
>  Okay for version 0.8.7 makes more sense.
> But I don't see what a release candidate brings that is not available
> from ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/libvirt-git-snapshot.tar.gz

Yeah, I can definitely see your point with that.

I think the "missing piece" here is some way of letting people know that
"ok, now you need to start testing the XYZ tarball, as we're preparing for
a release."

That's probably solvable with an "official" email to the users and dev mailing
lists at "freeze" time.  Something saying "We've now entered source code
freeze period.  Please test the XYZ tarball to make sure it works for you, and
report any bugs you find so they get fixed for the release."

On a related note, we should probably set up a libvirt-announce at redhat.com
mailing list, used for release/important announcements and similar.  Not
everyone that wants to know of the releases wants to receive user and/or
developer mailing list traffic.