[libvirt] boot time delay for domains?

Igor Serebryany igor47 at moomers.org
Wed Dec 22 15:51:11 UTC 2010

On Wed, Dec 22, 2010 at 04:23:54PM +0100, Paweł Krześniak wrote:
> If you'll have some solution share with us, please.

my solution was to make all my domains non-persistent. my application
monitors the status of the domains and re-creates them if they
disappear. this has some major advantages:

1) you can control the rate at which domains are started
2) you can restart domains if they crash
3) you can schedule tasks to perform on a domain when they're not
running (in the interval between when a domain goes down and when your
application brings it back up)
4) peace of mind -- you know for sure that random domains won't start up
when you bring up a random machine. this helps avoid vm disk corruption.
this reason will be less important once libvirt finalizes the locking
infrastructure, but right now it's critical for me

--igor