[libvirt] Back and suggested release schedule

Daniel Veillard veillard at redhat.com
Wed Dec 22 23:47:59 UTC 2010

On Thu, Dec 23, 2010 at 12:21:31AM +1100, Justin Clift wrote:
> On 23/12/2010, at 12:12 AM, Daniel Veillard wrote:
> > But I don't see what a release candidate brings that is not available
> > from ftp://libvirt.org/libvirt/libvirt-git-snapshot.tar.gz
>
> Yeah, I can definitely see your point with that.
>
> I think the "missing piece" here is some way of letting people know that
> "ok, now you need to start testing the XYZ tarball, as we're preparing for
> a release."

  yes, that's a messaging problem, not a technical problem.
I need to be more vocal about entering the freeze (a single mail won't
make it) and should probably point to the snapshots.

> On a related note, we should probably set up a libvirt-announce at redhat.com
> mailing list, used for release/important announcements and similar.  Not
> everyone that wants to know of the releases wants to receive user and/or
> developer mailing list traffic.

  We had that debate a couple of years ago, at the time the size of the
followers were small enough it wasn't considered useful (-users too) but
at this point, yes, that's something to do,