[libvirt] Live migration woes

Thomas Sjolshagen thomas at sjolshagen.net
Fri Feb 5 20:21:32 UTC 2010

Quoting Thomas Treutner <thomas at scripty.at>:

> Hi,
>
> is anyone using libvirt-git and qemu-kvm post-0.11 and can live migrate VMs
> successfully for- and backwards? qemu-kvm-0.11 seems to be the latest release
> were live migration works, and I'm trying to figure out if its a kvm or
> libvirt problem, since there were other things (balloon parameter f.e.) that
> were changed with qemu-kvm-0.12 and caused troubles when using libvirt.

Yes.

I'm using the virt-preview repo (rawhide) and I just noticed, today,
after re-upgrading to 0.12.2-5 (since -4 has a rather nasty IO problem
for virtio devices against raw image files) that my live-migrations
fail with the following error message on the destination system (i.e.
the system the I'm trying to migrate to):

/var/log/libvirt/qemu/<guest>.log:
Unknown savevm section -2038417646
load of migration failed

Also, in the same log file, I'm seeing:
Warning: vlan 0 with no nics
Option 'ipv4': Use 'on' or 'off'
Failed to parse "yes" for "dummy.ipv4"

But that may not be related to the migration failing.

// Thomas