[libvirt] Live migration woes

Lance Albertson lance at osuosl.org
Mon Feb 8 19:22:44 UTC 2010

> On Fri, Feb 05, 2010 at 03:21:32PM -0500, Thomas Sjolshagen wrote:

>>> is anyone using libvirt-git and qemu-kvm post-0.11 and can live
>>> migrate VMs successfully for- and backwards? qemu-kvm-0.11 seems
>>> to be the latest release were live migration works, and I'm
>>> trying to figure out if its a kvm or libvirt problem, since there
>>> were other things (balloon parameter f.e.) that were changed with
>>> qemu-kvm-0.12 and caused troubles when using libvirt.
>>
>> Yes.
>>
>> I'm using the virt-preview repo (rawhide) and I just noticed,
>> today, after re-upgrading to 0.12.2-5 (since -4 has a rather nasty
>> IO problem for virtio devices against raw image files) that my
>> live-migrations fail with the following error message on the
>> destination system (i.e. the system the I'm trying to migrate to):
>
>> /var/log/libvirt/qemu/<guest>.log: Unknown savevm section
>> -2038417646 load of migration failed
>
> This looks like a new QEMU bug to me

I can confirm this bug is happening on Ganeti as well [1]. It appears
that if you sync the time on the guest VM before migrating back to the
other node it will "succeed" most of the time. Has anyone opened a bug
for this on the qemu-kvm bug tracker yet? I was about to do that myself.

Thanks-

[1]
http://groups.google.com/group/ganeti/browse_thread/thread/9b2c556557e749cf

--
Lance Albertson                                    lance <at> osuosl.org
Systems Administrator / Architect                        Open Source Lab