[libvirt] domblkstat not working for qemu-kvm > 0.11

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Wed Feb 10 16:58:25 UTC 2010

On Tue, Feb 09, 2010 at 04:06:56PM +0100, Thomas Treutner wrote:
> Hi,
>
> with all qemu-kvm > 0.11, virsh domblkstat is not working:
>
> virsh -c qemu://node03/system domblkstat wp01 vdb :  invalid argument in no
> stats found for device virtio-disk1
>
> (vda, vdb etc. works with 0.11)
>
> "virtio-disk1" seems to be a red herring:
>
> virsh -c qemu://node03/system domblkstat wp01 virtio-disk1 : invalid argument
> in invalid path: virtio-disk1
>
> Most probably there have been made some changes with 0.12 libvirt does not
> resemble yet. If you need more debugging output, just tell.

I've managed to reproduce it and figured out what's wrong. libvirt was
trying to match against the device name 'virtio-disk1' rather than against
the drive name 'drive-virtio-disk1' and so not finding the stats.

The reason its matching 'virtio-disk1' rather than 'vda' is that that is
the globally unique name libvirt gave to the 'vda' device. You can see
this now in the XML format <alias> element. In the future we will allow
you to actually pass the alias in directly, as an alternative to the
'vda' style name