[libvirt] fix build failure with --disable-shared

Diego Elio “Flameeyes” Pettenò flameeyes at gmail.com
Fri Jan 8 11:21:44 UTC 2010

Il giorno ven, 08/01/2010 alle 11.16 +0000, Daniel P. Berrange ha
scritto:

> What problems do shared libraries cause with GDB - I've never had any
> trouble with it at all - it 'just works' perfectly picking up any
> debuginfo
> packages from things we link against too. The only GDB issues I see
> are its
> inability to cope with -O2 optimized code.

I think what they meant is not much related to shared libraries (which
works pretty good with gdb) but with the handling of dynamically-linked
executables and libtool: launching gdb ./virsh will not work, obviously;
you either launch it directly (./.libs/virsh), but most people will
forget to set the proper LD_LIBRARY_PATH entries and thus debug the
installed copy of the libraries, or you pass through libtool, but most
people don't know that.

Alas, working around problems in all kind of ways is what brought us the
doom that libtool complexity is.

--
Diego Elio Pettenò — “Flameeyes”
http://blog.flameeyes.eu/

If you found a .asc file in this mail and know not what it is,
it's a GnuPG digital signature: http://www.gnupg.org/