[libvirt] Cannot use console with 0.7.5, error: internal error no assigned pty for device serial0

Marc Haber mh+libvir at zugschlus.de
Sat Jan 16 17:24:28 UTC 2010

Hi,

On Fri, Jan 15, 2010 at 03:13:25PM +0100, Marc Haber wrote:
> $ dpkg --list *kvm*
> | Status=Not/Inst/Cfg-files/Unpacked/Failed-cfg/Half-inst/trig-aWait/Trig-pend
> |/ Err?=(none)/Reinst-required (Status,Err: uppercase=bad)
> ||/ Name           Version        Description
> +++-==============-==============-============================================
> ii  kvm            72+dfsg-2      Full virtualization on x86 hardware

This turned out to be the problem, libvirt didn't handle KVM 72's
output correctly. photron helped identifying this issue on IRC, which
I really appreciate, and there is a patch available to fix libvirt
0.7.5 with old KVM again.

The real issue was that Debian has renamed the kvm package to
qemu-kvm, which I didn't notice, and continued using an ancient kvm
version. qemu-kvm from Debian unstable works fine with libvirt 0.7.5.

Greetings
Marc