[libvirt] hvm/x86_64 combination not allowed

Steve Brown sbrown25 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 14 19:26:35 UTC 2010

I have a VM that I am able to run using qemu form a command prompt
with no problems.  I want to run it from within libvirt, so I
converted my qemu command to XML using 'virsh domxml-from-native ...'
My problem is that my libvirt does not seem to support the x86_64
architecture, so when I try to launch the VM, the kernel won't built
since it was installed on x86_64.  My os container is as follows (as
imported by virsh):

<os>
  <type arch='i686' machine='pc-0.11'>hvm</type>
  <boot dev='hd'/>
</os>

However, when I try to change it to this:

<os>
  <type arch='x86_64'>hvm</type>
  <boot dev='hd'/>
</os>

I get the following message:

error: internal error os type 'hvm' & arch 'x86_64' combination is not supported

I've searched for a proper command line switch to build this option
into libvirt, but I have not had any success.  So how do I get libvirt
to support the x86_64 arch?

Thanks,
Steve

PS:
$ sudo virsh capabilities
<capabilities>
  <host>
    <cpu>
      <arch>x86_64</arch>
    </cpu>
    <migration_features>
      <live/>
      <uri_transports>
        <uri_transport>tcp</uri_transport>
      </uri_transports>
    </migration_features>
  </host>
  <guest>
    <os_type>hvm</os_type>
    <arch name='i686'>
      <wordsize>32</wordsize>
      <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu</emulator>
      <machine>pc-0.11</machine>
      <machine canonical='pc-0.11'>pc</machine>
      <machine>pc-0.10</machine>
      <machine>isapc</machine>
      <domain type='qemu'>
      </domain>