[libvirt] Using ESX domain XML for V2V

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Fri Jan 15 13:59:22 UTC 2010

2010/1/15 Matthew Booth <mbooth at redhat.com>:
> On 15/01/10 10:37, Matthias Bolte wrote:
>> 2010/1/14 Matthew Booth <mbooth at redhat.com>:
>>> I'm trying to use the ESX driver to extract metadata from ESX in an easily
>>> digestible form for driving V2V. I've noticed the domain XML seems to be
>>> missing a few bits:
>>>
>>> <features/>
>>
>> This is currently not implemented, but could be by parsing the CPUIDs.
>> This is on my todo list.
>
> This would be extremely useful.
>
>>> <graphics/>
>>
>> VMware seems to use a certain type of VNC for this, but they use a
>> custom authentication mechanism. There is a Firefox plugin for that
>> (vmware-mks.xpi), but IIRC its Windows only. I think this could be
>> implemented but there is more research necessary what to expose as
>> graphics element.
>>
>>> <input/>
>>
>> A ESX virtual machine has a PS2 mouse and keyboard by default and
>> AFAIK that's not changeable. So the ESX driver could output input
>> elements for them, but the user won't be able to change it when
>> defining a new virtual machine. Currently input elements are ignored
>> by the ESX driver.
>
> To explain my use case, I'm using the domain XML provided by the ESX
> driver to form the basis of domain XML for the QEMU driver. I don't need
> to be able to modify or even access the underlying guest, I just need to
> know that the devices exist and what drivers they are using. I believe
> there is more than 1 available graphics device in ESX, so that would be
> most important.

I assume you mixed up video and graphics devices. The graphics device
will be VNC. I just looked up If the video device type can be
configured but I can't find anything about that, there is only a
single type. But VRAM size can be configured and 3D acceleration
support can be enabled with ESX 4.0.

Matthias