[libvirt] xen:/// vs. xen://FQDN/ vs xen+unix:/// discrepancy

Philipp Hahn hahn at univention.de
Fri Jul 23 16:02:27 UTC 2010

Hello,

thank you for your answer.

Am Donnerstag 22 Juli 2010 14:51:22 schrieb Daniel P. Berrange:
> > root at xen4# virsh -c xen://xen4.domain.name/ list
> > root at xen4# virsh -c xen:/// list
> > root at xen4# virsh -c xen+unix:/// list
> Assuming the libvirtd daemon you've connected to is on the
> same host as virsh process, then since they all ultimately
> end up using 'xen:///', the data should be identical in
> all cases.

Yes, I run all those commands locally on the same host (xen4).

The problem only occurs after some time of normal operation: just after
starting xend, libvirtd, ... everything is fine. Then sometime later after
starting and stoping some domains, the systems gets unresponsive and the
above described problem occurs: Only than do the different connection types
provide different data.

To me it looks like some connection between libvirtd / virsh and xen gets
broken, so no data on running domains can be retrieved any more, until I
restart libvirtd. After that everything is back to normal until the next
hickup.

> To verify that libvirtd is actually openening the same drivers as virsh
> you can edit /etc/libvirt/libvirtd.conf and set
>
>   log_filters="1:libvirt 1:xen"
>   log_outputs="1:file:/var/log/libvirt/libvirtd.log"

I'v now enabled that and see if I can gather more data.

Sincerely
Philipp Hahn
--
Philipp Hahn           Open Source Software Engineer      hahn at univention.de
Univention GmbH        Linux for Your Business        fon: +49 421 22 232- 0