[libvirt] libvirtError: internal error unknown boot device 'floppy'

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Jul 14 14:20:22 UTC 2010

On 07/14/2010 10:04 AM, John Lumby wrote:

>> Date: Wed, 14 Jul 2010 09:37:41 -0400
>> From: crobinso at redhat.com
>> To: johnlumby at hotmail.com
>> CC: libvir-list at redhat.com; virt-tools-list at redhat.com
>> Subject: Re: [libvirt] libvirtError: internal error unknown boot device 'floppy'
>>
>> On 07/13/2010 09:30 PM, John Lumby wrote:
>>> Hello.    I believe I've found a bug in libvirtd but not sure.
>>>

>> Can you provide the full output of the virt-install command with the --debug flag?
>>  - Cole
>

> Below is what it wrote to my  ~/.virtinst/virt-install.log(without the --debug flag but according to the man page it's the same debug output)
>

> Interesting to see that it generated what looks to be a good .xml but it did not put that into my libvirt/qemu directory.
> Seems it just does not know about booting from a floppy?
>

> If you need something else let me know.

Whoops, this is a virtinst bug. The boot device is actually supposed to
be 'fd', not 'floppy'. Fixed upstream now:

http://hg.fedorahosted.org/hg/python-virtinst/rev/4d0ea2274ffd

As a work around, you should be able to copy the XML that virtinst was
generating, change 'floppy' to 'fd', virsh define it and proceed from
there. Thanks for the report.

- Cole