[libvirt] where is "virsh pool-stop"?

Dave Allan dallan at redhat.com
Thu Jul 15 18:48:44 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jul 15, 2010 at 11:44:33AM +0200, Harald Dunkel wrote:
> Hi folks,
>
> Suggestion:
>
> "virsh pool-destroy" sounds highly destructive. There is a
> "pool-start" command, so how about "pool-stop"? Similar
> commands could be introduced for the other *-start commands.

For pools especially destroy has a bad sound to it.

> This would make using virsh _much_ easier.
>
> In Unix world "start" and "stop" belong together, "start"
> and "destroy" don't.

Generally, I agree, start implies stop, but there is also the case of
start-shutdown-destroy.  I believe the reason for the command names is
that one does a 'start' on a VM, but then either does a graceful
'shutdown' or a un-graceful 'destroy'.  There is no single 'stop' in
that case.

None of that takes away from your original point, however, that
pool-destroy is not the destructive operation that it sounds like, and
I have also done virsh foo-stop many times without thinking about it.
I wouldn't object to aliasing pool-stop to pool-destroy, but I'm
curious to know what others on the list think.

Dave