[libvirt] libvir: Domain error <domName>: invalid argument in virDomainGetXMLDesc

Priya pbhat at acis.ufl.edu
Thu Jul 22 23:54:23 UTC 2010

All,

I just downloaded and installed *libvirt-bin* and this is my first email to
the group, so I apologize in advance if my questions are too naive!

So, I am trying to access VMs running on* xen3.2 hypervisor* (host with
kernel *2.6.24-24-xen*) using *virt-manager* installed on a machine
running*Ubuntu 9.04
* (client machine). I got to the point where I can connect to my virtual
machine and my domain-0 through the* virt-manager* client (meaning that I
already have *libvirt*,* ssh-askpass* downloaded and the *libvirtd* and *
xend* running on my host machine), and on the client machine I can view the
window showing the statistics of CPU utilization of my domain-0 and user
domain. The attachment shows a shapshot of the *virt-manager* on my client
machine.

Now when I try to access the GUI of either of domain-0 or the user domain
(by selecting the specific domain and clicking open) I get the following
error message in a pop-up on my client and in the libvirtd console on the
host:

"*libvir: Domain error xen_2: invalid argument in virDomainGetXMLDesc*"

I tried to Google this error, but I don't find any clear answers. It
*seems*to be a bug in the
*libvirt* implementation that has been detected and resolved already. And I
am confused as to why is it that such a recent version is still buggy?
Should I have downloded another version instead?  I desperately wish to
resolve this problem and would appreciate any guidance.

Many thanks!
--
Priya Bhat