[libvirt] vol-list and other vol-* functions

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Tue Jun 1 16:23:53 UTC 2010

On 05/31/2010 10:41 AM, Eduardo Otubo wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> When implementing the vol-list function I came up with the concept of
> 'path' which I am not sure if I understood. Does 'path' in this case
> represents where it is mounted on the guest system? On IBM Power
> Hypervisor, there's some logical volumes which I can get the path and
> there's some I can't, hence, I can't get LookUpByPath() function
> implemented correctly. Any ideas?

For the libvirtd provided storage backends, 'path' is the full
filesystem pathname of the storage. So, for a directory pool pointing to
/tmp, a volume target path could be the file /tmp/foo.img

If your storage backend doesn't have a notion of a 'path', maybe just
come up with some heirarchical name like /poolname/volname. Ideally the
path would be something unique to that piece of storage, so that
LookUpByPath wouldn't hit multiple storage volumes.. Also, I'd try match
up the storage path with whatever system you use to specify storage in
the domain XML.

- Cole