[libvirt] Question about migration requirement

Bruce Rogers brogers at novell.com
Fri Jun 4 17:43:37 UTC 2010

I've noticed that there seems to be some additional requirements placed on a migration, as compared to just remote management via libvirt.

For example, when I try to do the following:

virsh migrate running_vm_name qemu+ssh://1.2.3.4/system

there seems to be a requirment that both the source and target hosts must resolve 1.2.3.4 the same way as far as naming services is concerned. Without being able to resolve to the same name on both the source and target, the migration will fail.

Note that I can ssh to the other machine just fine using the ip address, or even do the following without problem:

virsh -c qemu+ssh://1.2.3.4/system <some-command>

Is this additional <requirement> for migration intentional (some security issue, etc), or is it just an artifact of implementation, which could be fixed to not be needlessly restrictive.

Bruce