[libvirt] Fwd: How do you disable hpet in a kvm?

Laine Stump laine at laine.org
Tue Jun 8 20:33:44 UTC 2010

> Forwarding to libvir-list.
>
> The KVM developers have been recommending that all guests use -no-hpet
> flag.  Indeed, we've been adding this flag in libguestfs for quite a
> long time.  However I notice that libvirt [in Rawhide] does not
> include this flag for my guests.

-no-hpet isn't in the commandline by default, but can be added with the
following bit of xml in the domain definition:

<clock>
<timer name='hpet' present='no'/>
</clock>

(if there is an existing <clock> section, you should add the "<timer
name= ...>" to that, rather than creating a new one).

That functionality is in libvirt as of version 0.8.0.

Actually, I just realized while loking back through the code that the
intent was for -no-hpet to be set if
<timer name='hpet'/> is given with *no* "present" attribute (and if qemu
supports it, of course), but that isn't being done, so I'm filing a bug
for that. (the idea is that then the xml for all domains can just say
"<timer name='hpet'/>" and the option will be added when qemu supports
it, and it will be silently ignored when it doesn't support it.