[libvirt] Segfault in libvirtd when run as a service

Emre Erenoglu erenoglu at gmail.com
Thu Jun 10 19:38:30 UTC 2010

On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 10:35 PM, Matthias Bolte <
matthias.bolte at googlemail.com> wrote:

> 2010/6/10 Emre Erenoglu <erenoglu at gmail.com>:
> > On Thu, Jun 10, 2010 at 9:07 PM, Daniel P. Berrange <berrange at redhat.com
> >
> > wrote:

> the

> >> I guess I'd put money on some environment variable causing trouble.
> >> It could be a *missing* environment variable that we expect to always
> >> be set, or something like that
> >
> > Hi Daniel, thanks for your message. Yes, I did a small script file as you
> > suggested and found out this environment while libvirtd was run:
> >

> DBUS_STARTER_ADDRESS=unix:path=/var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket,guid=6c515f612162b05d554b59cd4c112d43
> > KRB5_KTNAME=/etc/libvirt/krb5.tab
> > PWD=/
> > DBUS_STARTER_BUS_TYPE=system
> > SHLVL=1
> > _=/usr/bin/env
> >
> > This looks very weak compared to the standard root environment that I
> pasted
> > in my earlier message.
>
> No PATH? I bet there is code in libvirt that assumes getenv("PATH")
> will be != NULL.
>
> Could you try to add PATH to the environment. It can be empty, doesn't
> matter. Just make sure it's there, so getenv("PATH") returns an empty
> string instead of NULL.

I just did exactly what you said by the same instinct, ie added the PATH
environment variable, and, nailed it down! It works! wow!

> entry

> >> Try creating a wrapper script, eg
> >>
> >>   mv /usr/sbin/libvirtd /usr/sbin/libvirtd.real
> >>   cat > /usr/sbin/libvirtd <<EOF
> >>   #!/bin/sh
> >>   cd /tmp
> >>   ulimited -c unlimited
> >>   exec /usr/sbin/libvirtd.real
> >>   EOF
> >>   chmod +x /usr/sbin/libvirtd
> >>
> >> That will hopefully give you a core dump in /tmp you can get get a
> >> stack trace from
> >
> > Yes, I got the core file with the script. However, when I open the core
> file
> > with gdb, and use bt command to get the backtrace, the only thing it
> tells
> > me is this:
> >
> > Core was generated by `/usr/sbin/libvirtd --daemon'.
> > Program terminated with signal 11, Segmentation fault.
> > #0  0xb73ed8f3 in ?? ()
> > (gdb) bt
> > Cannot access memory at address 0x810b9db
> >
> > Maybe I don't know enough of debugging as I know I have to see the code
> > lines (somehow) at this segfault point. Could you guide me on that?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Br,
> > Emre
> >

> Strange backtrace. Maybe there is heap corruption going on so that GDB
> can't make sense out of it anymore.
>
> I'll do some research about the PATH usage in libvirt now.

OK. I guess it's used to find the dhcp daemon, iptables etc.  Other service
scripts seem to work happily without this PATH, but I'll ask developers to
add it to the python service environment to make sure it works fine.

Thanks again Matthias, Daniel!  I'm a happy guy now :)

Emre Erenoglu