[libvirt] PATCH: support virtual disks

Justin Clift justin at salasaga.org
Fri Jun 11 00:22:09 UTC 2010

On 06/11/2010 03:52 AM, Andrew Farmer wrote:
> Libvirt currently makes the assumption that disk devices are always
> accessible as files on the local system. However, certain types of
> virtual storage on qemu (e.g, NBD) may not be. This patch defines a
> new "virtual" disk device which is treated similarly to existing disk
> types, but which is exempted from at least one code path
> (qemuSecurityDACSetSecurityAllLabel) which assumes the disk to be
> accessible as a file.
>
> With this patch in place, a QEMU virtual disk can be declared as:
>
> <disk type='virtual' device='disk'> <driver name='qemu' type='nbd'
> /> <source path='nbd:nbdhost:1234' /> <target dev='vda' bus='virtio'
> /> </disk>
>
> I haven't tested this with any drivers besides QEMU, so there might
> be some adjustments needed for those as well. Having the
> infrastructure in place to create these devices makes it easier to
> add them in the future, though.

Hi Andrew,

Haven't taken a look at how NBD devices attach to the host system yet,
so I'm just trying to understand the concept here.

I'm used to some other network storage types (ie SRP LUNs), that when
configured on a host system present as a disk device.  These can then be
configured using various storage pool types (ie disk, dir, fs, etc) as
per a "standard" locally attached device.

Kind of wondering if NBD should be like that too?

Regards and best wishes,

Justin Clift

--
Salasaga  -  Open Source eLearning IDE