[libvirt] how to setup libvirt development environment...

Eric Blake eblake at redhat.com
Tue Jun 22 21:28:24 UTC 2010

On 06/18/2010 06:12 AM, Avdhoot Joshi wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Installed RHEL 5.5 on  AMD Opteron.
>
> [root at wlng-ppcore-nd3 ~]# uname -a
> Linux wlng-ppcore-nd3 2.6.18-194.el5 #1 SMP Tue Mar 16 21:52:39 EDT 2010
> x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> [root at wlng-ppcore-nd3 ~]# virsh version
> Compiled against library: libvir 0.6.3
> Using library: libvir 0.6.3
> Using API: QEMU 0.6.3
> Running hypervisor: QEMU 0.9.1
>
> This is the default version of virsh using libvirt 0.6.3.
>
> Downloaded libvirt 0.8.1, configured it as follows:
>
> $ configure
> $ make
> $ make install

By default, this sets things up so that your install will be in
/usr/local, and is thus independent of the system-provided version from
RHEL 5.5.  Use ./configure --prefix /path/to/somewhere if the default
didn't match your expectations (the file libvirt/libvirt.spec.in shows
the various configure options used when building for RHEL).

> What should be done so that virsh uses the latest 0.8.1 libvirtd binary, how
> to completely stop 0.6.3?

It should be possible to use your own libvirtd in /usr/local regardless
of whether the system-provided version is present and running, since the
two installations should pick different path locations for pid files and
other state information.  But it also means that you can't (easily) use
you libvirtd to run a VM created by the other libvirtd, without moving
and possibly tweaking some configuration files.

So maybe what you really wanted was to upgrade the system version of
libvirtd.  I think you can find add-on RPMs of newer libvirt versions
built for RHEL, but they will not be part of RHEL 5.5 proper.
Meanwhile, RHEL 6 will have a much newer version of libvirtd, if you are
willing to wait for that.