[libvirt] Maintenance of ruby bindings

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Wed Jun 30 18:13:45 UTC 2010

On 06/30/10 - 04:21:53PM, Neil Wilson wrote:
> On Wed, 2010-06-30 at 15:56 +0100, Daniel P. Berrange wrote:
>
> > There isn't any active maintainer for them, so any volunteers to submit
> > patches, or become a regular maintainer are welcome :)
>
> Shifting the archive across to git would help!
>
> What do you use to auto-generate the python interface? I was wondering
> whether a similar approach could be used to generate a Ruby interface
> via the Foreign Function Interface library (FFI -
> http://wiki.github.com/ffi/ffi/)

I'm not familiar with FFI, but the current way that the python functions
are generated are with a python script that parses an XML document describing
the functions, and then generating a binding based on them.  However, there
are lots of exceptions that have to be hand-coded, and every time I have to
touch that generator I come away crying.  Given my experience with writing
the ruby bindings, I think it would probably be shorter (and easier to
understand) if we created the python bindings by hand.

In any case, that is mostly besides the point.  I already have a git repo
setup on libvirt.org that I've pushed my experimental patches to, and I'm
in the process of solidifying this release and getting it out.  I'll make
sure to CC you on the announcement once I'm confident in the bindings.

--
Chris Lalancette