[libvirt] Segmentation Fault while connecting to ESX VMware

Matthias Bolte matthias.bolte at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 11 17:13:20 UTC 2010

2010/3/11  <blbmdsmith at verizon.net>:

> Has anyone had a similar issue while trying to connect to VMware's ESX
> systems?
>
> I am running the following command: libvirt.openAuth("esx://IPADDRESS/ ",
> 1,0)
> From what I have read about connecting to an ESX system, libvirt.openAuth
> calls virConnectOpenAuth which needs three arguments: uri, auth, flags
>
> I am not sure what values I should use for auth and flags.

"esx://IPADDRESS/ " <- There is a space after the last slash in the
URI, this may or may not be a problem, you should remove it.

The flags paramater can be 0, but auth must be a list with a
predefined set of items. See examples/python/esxlist.py for how to use
the openAuth() function correctly.

> When I run my python script I get a segmentation fault.  I have tried to run
> the same script on Fedora11 and CentOS 5.4.
> I get the same result on both systems.  I have googled this issue, which
> returned a possible issue with not having libvirt-bin installed.
> The libvirt on both systems are from the original installation of the OS for
> each system.

You see a segfault because Python bindings for the virConnectOpenAuth
function are missing proper type checking for parameters. I'll fix
this.

If you use the openAuth() function with the correct parameters you
won't get a segfault.

Matthias