[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in libvirt

Jamie Lokier jamie at shareable.org
Tue Mar 23 23:25:31 UTC 2010

Alexander Graf wrote:
> I don't see why we shouldn't be able to automatically generate
> libqemu.so. We have the *.hx files that describe the syntax of
> parameters plus list all available options / commands. I'm not sure
> how exactly QMP works, but having a generic QMP command to list all
> available options would be handy too.
>
> By then we could automate most of the library, making the glueing
> really easy. If libvirt doesn't properly link against libqemu anymore
> we also know why: The ABI changed.

I'm thinking most potential uses of the binary API, other than C
programmers, would be happier with a D-Bus version generated from
those same *.hx files.  Because then it's easy to call the API from
Python, Perl, even shell, etc.  Whereas libqemu.so would be relatively
difficult to use from those languages.

(Aside: I don't particularly like D-Bus.  But it does seem to work
for this sort of thing.)

-- Jamie