[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in libvirt

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Wed Mar 24 13:52:53 UTC 2010

On 03/24/2010 03:59 AM, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:

>>> +1
>>>
>>> Even when not using libvirt for a reason or another I usually hook my
>>> virtual machines into virbr0 (libvirt default network).
>>
>> I had the opposite problem.  Needed to use multiple bridges and have
>> some VMs behind NAT without a bridge (private IPs), and some using
>> separately firewalled bridges (needed to behave like real attached
>> hardware with their original MACs, but be firewalled).
>
> No problem in theory.  libvirt should detect existing bridges and allow
> you to attach virtual machines to them.  So you can setup bridges and
> firewalling for them using usual distro tools and use them for virtual
> machines.
>
> In practice I've seen this not working correctly in the past, i.e. my
> br0 didn't pop up in the virt-manager nic setup page.

Please file a bug: virt-manager has had bridge detection for years, so
something must be going wrong. In f13 we will use netcf for this, so
even bridge enumeration on remote hosts should work.

Additionally I recently made a change upstream to allow users to
manually enter a bridge name, since netcf isn't supported for all
distros yet.

- Cole