[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in libvirt

Anthony Liguori anthony at codemonkey.ws
Thu Mar 25 13:57:36 UTC 2010

On 03/25/2010 08:48 AM, Avi Kivity wrote:

>> But an awful lot of the providers for pegasus are written in C.
>
> But we're concerned with only one, the virt provider.  None of the
> others will use libqemu?
>
>> The point is, C is a lowest common denominator and it's important to
>> support in a proper way.
>
> Problem is, it means horrible support for everyone else.

Why?

We can provide a generic QMP dispatch interface that high level
languages can use.  Then they can do fancy dispatch, treat QErrors as
exceptions, etc.

We just ought to also provide some simple C wrappers for all of the
functions.  Yes, the C interface is inferior to the generic interface
but that's fine.

Regards,

Anthony Liguori