[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in libvirt

Daniel P. Berrange berrange at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 13:59:22 UTC 2010

On Thu, Mar 25, 2010 at 08:26:09AM +0000, Vincent Hanquez wrote:
> On 24/03/10 21:40, Anthony Liguori wrote:
> >>If so, what C clients you expected beyond libvirt?
> >
> >Users want a C API.  I don't agree that libvirt is the only C
> >interface consumer out there.
>
> (I've seen this written too many times ...)
> How do you know that ? did you do a poll or something where *actual*
> users vote/tell ?
>
> From my point of view, i wouldn't want to write a high level management
> toolstack in C, specially
> since the API is well defined JSON which is easily available in all high
> level language out there.

It was pretty straightforward for libvirt to talk to the JSON protocol
from C using the YAJL  library, so I don't think it is all that much of
a barrier for low level languages like C either. If we want to make life
easy for app/library developers working against QEMU, then the far more
important aspect is to guarentee stability of all the QEMU interfaces
since that is where all the serious pain occurs over time.

|: Red Hat, Engineering, London    -o-   http://people.redhat.com/berrange/ :|
|: http://libvirt.org -o- http://virt-manager.org -o- http://deltacloud.org :|
|: http://autobuild.org        -o-         http://search.cpan.org/~danberr/ :|
|: GnuPG: 7D3B9505  -o-   F3C9 553F A1DA 4AC2 5648 23C1 B3DF F742 7D3B 9505 :|