[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in libvirt

Gerd Hoffmann kraxel at redhat.com
Mon Mar 22 21:33:46 UTC 2010

   Hi,

> Stepping back a bit first, there are the two core areas in which people can
> be limited by libvirt currently.

>   2. Command line flags

For me:  This one, and monitor access.

libvirt is very unfriendly to qemu hackers.  There is no easy way to add
command line switches.  There is no easy way to get access to the
monitor.  I can get it done by pointing <emulator> to a wrapper script
and mangle the qemu command line there.  But this sucks big time.  And
it doesn't integrate with libvirt at all.

When hacking qemu, especially when adding new command line options or
monitor commands, I want to have a easy way to test this stuff.  Or I
just wanna able to type some 'info $foo' commands for debugging and
trouble shooting purposes.  libvirt makes it harder not easier to get
the job done.

Image you could ask libvirt to create an additional monitor and expose
it like a serial console.  virt-manager lists it as text console.  Two
mouse clicks open a new window (or tab) with a terminal emulator linked
to the monitor.  Wouldn't that be cool?

Other issues I've trap into:

-boot
   libvirt (or virt-manager?) supports only the very old single letter
   style.  You can't specify '-boot order=cd,menu=on'.

-enable-nested
   not available.

serial console doesn't work for remote connections.

cheers,
   Gerd