[libvirt] [Qemu-devel] Re: Supporting hypervisor specific APIs in libvirt

Jes Sorensen Jes.Sorensen at redhat.com
Tue Mar 23 10:31:33 UTC 2010

On 03/23/10 11:25, Gerd Hoffmann wrote:
> On 03/23/10 09:54, Jes Sorensen wrote:
>> One problem I have found, and I am not sure how to fix this in this
>> context. Sometimes when hacking on qemu, I want to try out a new
>> qemu binary on an existing image, without replacing the system wide
>> one and may want to pass new command line flags for testing those, plus
>> have access to the monitor.
>
> Works with the wrapper script trick mentioned above.
>
> virsh edit $domain
> grep for <emulator>
> make it point to a wrapper script.
>
> My setup:
>
> [root at xenb ~]# virsh dumpxml fedora | grep emulator
> <emulator>/root/bin/qemu-wrapper</emulator>
> [root at xenb ~]# cat /root/bin/qemu-wrapper

Ah right thanks! However, it's a hack to get around the real problem
with libvirt. Not to mention that the output from virsh dumpxml is
where you have to cover your eyes and try not getting sick while
editing :(

Having a normal config file in readable format where you could add
regular command line options manually would make life so much easier.

Cheers,
Jes