[libvirt] using disk devices with mixed bus types (ide and virtio)

Ingo Tuchscherer ingo.tuchscherer at de.ibm.com
Fri Mar 26 09:56:26 UTC 2010

Hello,

While using multiple disk devices with different bus types (ide and virtio)
I noticed that the order of disks is handled in a special way.
The disk device which was defined as the first item will not be the first
entry in the system xml file.
e.g. if I define a virtio device (which is supposed to be the boot device)
this would be added after all the ide devices.
So it's not possible to boot from a virtio device even if I have defined
other ide devices since qemu flags the first device as boot device.

Is there a special reason why the disks are sorted by type (first all ide
and then virtio) because that's prevents from booting virtio devices.

Thanks.

Mit freundlichen Grüßen / Kind regards

Ingo Tuchscherer