[libvirt] ESX snapshot deletion

Chris Lalancette clalance at redhat.com
Mon Mar 29 12:34:03 UTC 2010

Hey Mattias,
     I'm currently working on the semantics of
virDomainSnapshotDelete(), which has been renamed from
the earlier virDomainSnapshotDeactivate().  In qemu/kvm,
it seems like it is possible to delete a snapshot at any
time, even while that snapshot is running (though I'm not
yet sure exactly what happens in that case).  Talking
to Jirka, it seems like the virtualbox GUI doesn't allow you to
do any operations at all on snapshots while a domain is running,
although we don't know yet if this is a restriction in the
API as well.
     My questions for you are about how ESX handles this situation:

1)  Can you manipulate a domain's snapshots while that domain is
running?

2)  If so, can you delete the snapshot that is currently running?
If so, what happens?

--
Chris Lalancette