[libvirt] failed to connect to the hypervisor

Ameya Pandit contact at ameyapandit.com
Wed Mar 31 12:54:29 UTC 2010

Hi,

I have KVM qemu installed on Fedora 12 host server.
My VMs are marked to autostart.  When I reboot my host server the
virtual machines starts but halts on its bios display screen.
If I login mannually destroy the VMs and start again, it just works
without any errors.

Can someone please help me with this issue ?
error logs I found are this :
Starting libvirtd daemon:                                  [  OK  ]
error: unable to connect to '/var/run/libvirt/libvirt-sock': No such
file or directory
error: failed to connect to the hypervisor

some more info :
virsh capabilities

<capabilities>

  <host>
    <cpu>
      <arch>i686</arch>
    </cpu>
    <migration_features>
      <live/>
      <uri_transports>
        <uri_transport>tcp</uri_transport>
      </uri_transports>
    </migration_features>
  </host>

  <guest>
    <os_type>hvm</os_type>
    <arch name='i686'>
      <wordsize>32</wordsize>
      <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu</emulator>
      <machine>pc-0.11</machine>
      <machine canonical='pc-0.11'>pc</machine>
      <machine>pc-0.10</machine>
      <machine>isapc</machine>
      <domain type='qemu'>
      </domain>
      <domain type='kvm'>
        <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-kvm</emulator>
        <machine>pc-0.11</machine>
        <machine canonical='pc-0.11'>pc</machine>
        <machine>pc-0.10</machine>
        <machine>isapc</machine>
      </domain>
    </arch>
    <features>
      <pae/>
      <nonpae/>
      <acpi default='on' toggle='yes'/>
      <apic default='on' toggle='no'/>
    </features>
  </guest>

  <guest>
    <os_type>hvm</os_type>
    <arch name='x86_64'>
      <wordsize>64</wordsize>
      <emulator>/usr/bin/qemu-system-x86_64</emulator>
      <machine>pc-0.11</machine>
      <machine canonical='pc-0.11'>pc</machine>
      <machine>pc-0.10</machine>
      <machine>isapc</machine>
      <domain type='qemu'>
      </domain>
    </arch>
    <features>
      <acpi default='on' toggle='yes'/>
      <apic default='on' toggle='no'/>
    </features>
  </guest>

</capabilities>

Kindly let me know if any more information required inorder to fix this issue.

Ameya Pandit

Buzz: 90040 27390 | www.ameyapandit.com