[libvirt] patch submission: git send-email, format-patch or git diff

Cole Robinson crobinso at redhat.com
Mon May 3 13:39:49 UTC 2010

On 05/03/2010 04:41 AM, Kenneth Nagin wrote:

>> Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com> wrote on 30/04/2010 15:42:05:
>
>> From: Cole Robinson <crobinso at redhat.com>
>> To: Kenneth Nagin/Haifa/IBM at IBMIL
>> Cc: "Daniel P. Berrange" <berrange at redhat.com>, list libvirt
>> <libvir-list at redhat.com>, Daniel Veillard <veillard at redhat.com>
>> Date: 30/04/2010 15:42
>> Subject: Re: [libvirt] (Resend) Live Migration with non-shared storage
> for kvm
>
>> Finding a way to post the patch in-line will also probably get better
>> attention: just pasting it into the mail client will probably mangle the
>> patch, I'd recommend git send-email.
>>

>> - Cole
>>
> I'm new to git so I suspect that I don't understand the proper method for
> patch submission.  But this is the problem that I see with your suggestion.
> git send-email implies usage of git-format-patch.  But git-format-patch
> creates a set of files one per commit.

You can pass options to format-patch which will limit the range of
commits it will dump: git format-patch -3 will dump the latest 3 commits
for example. If your changes are spread over multiple commits and you
want to submit it all as a single change, use git rebase -i to squash
commits together.

> However,  don't you want to submit the diff between the changed code and
> the master, i.e. git diff master > patch?

A simplification of my workflow is:

git checkout master
git pull
git checkout -b workbranch
Hack, committing any changes along the way
git rebase -i to clean up the commits
git format-patch -#
git send-email

- Cole