[libvirt] libvirt with qemu-kvm, not recognizing NIC model

Jonathan Hoover jhoover at devonshire-realty.com
Tue May 4 16:46:45 UTC 2010

Is this the right list for this question, or should I be elsewhere?

I am trying to specify a network card "model type" of "pcnet" (to
emulate vmware esxi's network card). No matter what I put for model type
in my xml config file, it comes up as an Intel e1000. I ran "qemu-kvm
-net nic,model=? /dev/null" and I got back a list of supported models
including pcnet,e1000,virtio, and others as expected. No matter which I
put in my xml file for /etc/libvirt/qemu/Symantec-bg.xml (a Symantec
Brightmail Gateway virtual machine), I just get back that its an Intel
card on boot (which doesn't work with Symantec BG).

I am running Fedora 12, kernel is 2.6.31.6-166.fc12.x86_64. The version
of libvirt is 0.7.1. I am running it on an Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q8400 @
2.66 GHz. I have the same problem under Fedora 13 Beta.

Thoughts?
Jonathan Hoover